Melbourne's Premiere Entertainer - The Sonic Manipulator
Amidst the shuffling in Melbourne's CBD of office workers, Uni students, homeless people, contstruction workmen and other various assortments of colourful Melbournians that grace the streets, an eerie spaceship sound is heard. It's bizarre squeal can be heard throughout Melbourne as it pulsates and resonates throughout the concrete jungle, loud enough for commuters to prick their ears and ask, "What the hell is that sound? Where's it comin from?"
Exiting Flinders. St as I do everyday, I'm normally confronted with what is making the sound and hearing the questioning as to where the sound is coming from. Enter this guy...
Usually residing on the corners of Flinders St. and Swanston St. or Swanston St. and Collins St is The Sonic Manipulator - my favourite street performer. This brilliant street theatre-cum-soundworks can be discovered on every second day and if you can't find him? Don't worry - just follow the noise and crowd.
He ropes in the numbers of curious onlookers, amused passer-bys, and any other walks of life that just happen to be within hearing range. He's dynamic presentation of Karaoke-like dancebeats with electronic sound manipulation puts a smile on everyone's face. You could have the shittest of days, and this guy would cheer you up.
I have no idea exactly how he does it but it seems various electronic pads, buttons, balls, sticks, gadgets, knobs are twisted, pushed, pulled, turned by this guy to perform reendtions of music from The Sound Of Music, UFO music, familiar pedestrian\elevator\shopping centre music, whatever - even a fire engine that passed by on the day I took photos of him. I'm a huge fan of beat-boxing so I'm addicted to this guy!
One day, Ill try to interview this guy, whoever he is, and see exactly why he does it, how he had the idea, if he's a professional street performer or just a person struggling to get an extra buck or two. If you ever come across this guy, give him some money, have a good listen and if impressed, buy his CD for $20. I know I plan to!
Photos found here
1 Comments:
o my god i love this guy!
Post a Comment
<< Home