*Hot Off Press* Film Production Wraps With Flying Colours
In response to the hot demand from everyone who has been fascinated by this film I'm working on and throwing questions over my way about it, here is what most of you have been eagerly waiting for.
Friday September 24th - 9am: Unfortunately due to circumstances, I was the only director to be present at the shoot. (the other having to desperately work for the day). Feeling like an old man (I HATE getting up early, except for when it comes to a production of sorts), I was confronted with a number of issues already. Ugh - I had just woken up from riding the train into Spencer St, proceeded by stretching on the 112 tram to St. Kilda. "Where do you want the lights", "Where do you want the camera?", "Where are the props?". Argh, my aching brain! Then the main actor, the only actor, arrived half an hour late. Then the Producer (at the time) is the official stresshead of the production wasn't too happy with the late arrival, not to mention my "supposed" late arrival of "one whole hour" which was a crock anyway.
All in all, the day was fucking shit simply. Our location was suggested by Louis (the lecturer at the time for we doing the Digital Film Production module at our Uni). He offered the underground carpark to the other Director and I (yes, we're doing a Cohen Brothers style direction of this film). Now, the issue was born here subsequently.
One person was placed in charge of finding a location, they failed to do so to the point where the Council of their area, would hang up on them. Once holidays came, I thought the film had better hurry along and I would see if I could find a location. That I did - a brilliant decrepit old house just 5 minutes away from my house. On top of that, with thanks to Film Victoria, I liasioned with the managers of the Melbourne Cemetery and got all the locations sorted out, organised, set in concrete, ready to go. But then our lecturer suggest the underground carpark because we don't have to woory about power access, have his help nearby, and it's central for everyone. Both of us decided it would only be good for a practice run of sorts...but, as the day progressed, everyone decided this is it, this is our location. A underground carpark that has to pass as room? Sod off.
We were going out on a limb here. Admin came down stairs and said we were going "all out on this one" in comparison to the other group who had a few shots in a studio to do. As always, there was a bloody fight about the lighting. I wanted it the other corner of the room to be done at the end of the carpark but one person whinged about having to set it up all again, matching it, and then precariously making it fit in. A lot of people liked the other corner, but time was the basis of the argument and it was settled we film in one location the whole film, and if we had time, to the other corner.
We were shooting a couple or so "simple" shots at the rate of an hour or so. Stress levels were rising dramatically. This, and the lack of sleep led to the debacle over our location shenangigans. I hate film producers, really do sometimes. They sparked the raging inferno by saying we're doing the film here and that's it. "Woah!!! Hang on a minute, we already have locations elsewhere! All organised and everything", I cried out. Leading on, crew members "ganged" up on me as rebuttal flared up like an ugly case of hemorrhoids. The other lecturers came down to settle it, I was so frustrated with everyone I was nearly crying (which is a first for me strangely enough). I detached myself and sat in the corner, buttoned my beak, and cooled down before saying I would regret later. Of course, the producers took over then as if they were the Goddamn directors (one of them happenign to be the locations manager whom couldn't find a location). The day ended with people shitty, and a the main actor grotty in carpark soot. Following this, were accusations and name-calling and disgruntledness all round.
Flash Forward: Wednesday 29th - The same producer who I had a run-in with before, decided to have a personal attack on me stating I was taking too much credit for the film (well I have contributed significantly, the director, and got locations). This person also stated that they found out I had called them a bitch. I said sorry but I still inferred they were, for they did not stand on my feet on the day, but stomped on them. I was the director. Everything I said\did\the direction I gave, was seriously undermined and neglected. That pissed me right off. I say "Oh the camera is great, leave it jus there", or "The lighting is fantastic, don't touch it" - someone would bastard would always come along and move them! My position was undermined and that's why I cracked it. The person then asked why didn't I talk to them about it but the thing was, if they didn't listen to me in the first place, why now? I wasn't going to talk to anyone, I was about to storm out. Films require cooperation, cooperation breeds collaboration. It shitted me too that a lot of people in this class want to settle for something that's mediocre, second rate, haph-hazard, and not put everything they have into making an extraordinary film. They lack passion I think. Then there was bitching of how they had to drive all the way out to Pakenham (Shit! Its one hour from Melbourne, straight up the Hwy and train line. It was for one day of the week. If they can travel to Uni 4 days of the week, then they can do just this ONE day). At the time, I felt it was a fucking popularity contest. I tend to be radical, different, and highly unique in my aspects of approach, thought, and manner at times, but everyone in my class seems to want to settle for the "mainstream" process of thought. They would rather listen to the "cool" people who are easy to interpret, than someone who they fail to understand and don't even begin to try to understand. High School Popularity Contests, eat your heart out.
Meanwhile, the other producer tried to put an end to this this personal shit-slinging feast but I stood my ground and wanted to get it out and clear the air. I was on edge due to the final decision being made regarding our locations. Louis stated the issues regarding the Pakenham location, the lighting, and that it would be good practical experience to go out there and film. Subsequently my fight had won. Position were re-assigned (which was odd I thought). The question came up regarding why they should be two film directors *Insert me rolling my eyes* Daring as I am, I questioned the producers why there should be two of them. One of them responded (the same one I had the run in with), "Well it doesn't matter really for the real question is, why do we need two film directors?" Fucking typical. In the end, that person lost out on being producer (both of them actually) and became make up artist. They were fuming, stomed off to their seat in the corner. Karma baby.
Friday 1st October - 8am: Thank God I had to travel 5 minutes. I met the Set Supervisor and prepared this decrepit ol'house before the calvalry arrived at 9:30am. Photos galore can be found here. Due to the actor being bare-footed, I had to sleep 3 times over the floor (squatters had smashed glass everywhere) and take out the staples from the old carpet insulation.
Filming went fantastic! As the day wore on, so did us, but we were pumping out the shots like a factory of film produce. Curious onlookers from the street starred, slowed down to have a gander and looked bewildered that this quiet old neglected house was booming with activity of that suited to Flinders St. I'm sure this town knows my face for I've done at least a few films around the streets here before. Some friends of mine dropped in throughout the day from across the road to have a peek, and thankfully no one touched the power generator out near the footpath. Only mishaps we had were, blowing up a Tungsten Light, whilst another smoked only for us to be amused by a burning bug that ponged the set with a crisp bug smell. We must've also disturbed a nest of spiders, as some reported them in their hair (including mine) and cropped up everywhere. Then there was the huge ass spider that stomped it's way across the floor as if it were on a mission to kill. An immediate stomp on it with my trusty sneakers prevented it from nearing our actor, who, at that time, was on the floor playing dead!
The day finally wrapped up at 11pm. I had been flat out, as I was now the Assistant Director, Props, continuity Director, and Set Design. I took ALOT of photos, and behind the scenes footage for the DVD release. The power generator wavered the lights just as we finished, perfect timing.
Saturdat 2nd October - 8am: 2 hours of sleep later, I was back on the road, driving out to Melbourne Cemetery. Coming close to falling asleep at the wheel mutiple times throughout the day, I was struggling. By the time I reached Melbourne I was more awake (thank God). Sleeping for half an hour in the car, some extras turned up, followed by a discussion until logistics reared it's ugly head. "I can't leave school with the equipment unless there's written permission", the director told me down the phone line. I staggered off to the main offices and sorted it out with management. Never ever walk the length of Melbourne Cemetery, 3 ovals conjoined it felt like, and with 2 hours sleep in warm temperatures, it doesn't help.
Eventually, the director, cameraman, extras, actors were there at this brilliant spot in the heart of the cemetery that looked like an oasis of sorts surrounded by dead, broken-down, old tombstones, pathways, and trees. I got a starring role in the film whereby I'm holding the hand of the little girl whom is the....well wait till you see the film. The director brought along his 5 year old cousin to play the part. She was such a sweetheart to work with, real cute and was happy to wait around for us to measure the camera, lighting, white balance everything, position trackers, etc. She played her part real well and I felt a connection with her when she was holding my hand, as if I was a father figure. I was in the film but I guess it struck that chord with me of my family plan to have daughters at some stage in life, but I digress. A change came over and the wind belted about our hair and clothes, making the final shot absolutely astoudning. Just how I imagined it.
We wrapped at 2pm that afternoon, feeling at peace that we had done it all. Whether it was the cemetery that did it, but I felt satisfied and peaceful, something I've never felt before when making a film. I have not seen the footage yet, but I will keep things posted on the journey of this film. For anyone who worked on this film, a massive thanks to your collaborative efforts, enthusiastic cooperation, and for all the shit-slinging, rant feasts, and name-calling from our first day - we all pulled together to make, what could be, an astounding short independent film that firmly guarantees a career and asserts us as filmmakers.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home